The Land is an original, three act play, concerning the past, current and about to be future ( unless something changes quickly ) Israeli/Palestinian conflict. It looks at the catastrophic mistakes of History that have led to the present cycle of violence, through the eyes of two women (Amirah and Tamara) and their families. The first act begins during the Second Intifada and the final act occurs in Gaza during Operation Cast Lead. As this very human drama unfolds, the audience is taken on an often shocking, emotional and provocative journey that climaxes with a surreal but hopeful ending. The setting of The Land is Jerusalem, but the story is about all of us, struggling to co-exist on this fragile planet.





Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Special Thanks

As we go into our final week of rehearsals. I'd like to thank all of you who made this production of The Land possible. After cancelling Kickstarter (which never really kicked off - is this subject really that taboo?) I was gifted with enough money from a dear friend, to get this baby back into rehearsals and on the TCA stage. I still needed to raise additional funds however and am doing so with program ad sales and sponsorships. Out of the $964 pledged on Kickstarter, I received a little under $500 - I want to thank those people who gave what they could, so very much! Your names will be in our program and you are all angels to us! I'll be out on the street again today, selling as many ads as I can - I'm a one woman operation. After a misunderstanding regarding what Producers actually do, I decided to produce this show myself, having plenty experience in the area w/music events. We are still gifting Vista Paz 10%. After a day of sales work, I'll be heading to another long rehearsal. Once the curtain comes up and the lights create magic on stage, it all appears effortless and easy, but the truth of the matter is tons of hard work goes into making a play. The actors especially work so hard and are so drained emotionally by the end of rehearsal - I marvel at their capacity to give that much of themselves! My daughter Genevieve and Christopher Heron both deserve accolades for the extra hours they are putting into this play! Christopher is choreographing and co-directing the war scenes and his work is sensitive and brilliant! My daughter brings visceral and emotional insight to all the characters, the women most especially! Not only is she a very talented actress, she is a fantastic facilitator of the process. I'm grateful to them both and to the rest of my amazing "no drama" cast - Ana Chavez, Ruth Fahrbach, Dylan Trachtman, Gus Chinland, David Perez, Benjamin Tietelbaum, Anpo Cash, Kiki Siebenaler, Lisa Lastra, Nicole Scotto, Khalil and his niece, the precious Majdolene Kweis - I could not have done it without you! Arron Shiver also gets a special thank you for the work he has done with Ana and Ruth in his Monday acting class. To my friend Fossie Graham who is flying in from back east for a second time to assist me - honey you are a jewel ! Billy Shapiro, your generous offer of assistance and advice was taken to heart and is so appreciated! It's a much better play because of you! Iris Keltz, your friendship, knowledge and support is invaluable-and finally, a big thank you hug to Micha Kurtz, my inspiration and touchstone! Micha, this is for you and all who stand together courageously against the walls of fascism!

No comments: