The Land is an original, three act play, concerning the past, current and about to be future ( unless something changes quickly ) Israeli/Palestinian conflict. It looks at the catastrophic mistakes of History that have led to the present cycle of violence, through the eyes of two women (Amirah and Tamara) and their families. The first act begins during the Second Intifada and the final act occurs in Gaza during Operation Cast Lead. As this very human drama unfolds, the audience is taken on an often shocking, emotional and provocative journey that climaxes with a surreal but hopeful ending. The setting of The Land is Jerusalem, but the story is about all of us, struggling to co-exist on this fragile planet.





Saturday, March 6, 2010

Political Theatre

Having never written a play does not mean I am a stranger to the theatre. I am not. I had the privilege of being around great theatre in South Africa - observing close hand Athol Fugard's process, from conception, through development and to completion. I was lucky enough to be there when he wrote and directed the first production of Boesman and Lena, at The Space in Cape Town. I've always had friends in the theatre and my mother was a trained actress who never acted professionally. I am told she was quite gifted. My daughter, Genevieve appears to carry the gene. She had a major role in the workshop production of The Land, and she'll make an appearance on Kickstarter, next week. I was also fortunate enough to be sent to a private, Anglican school where Drama was a mandatory subject. That classical education at an early age, ingrained in me a great love of words and the magic they can conjure. I loved Drama and had some talent for it, but my rebellious spirit rejected further formal education at sixteen when the road of life became my teacher. Along the way I've been blessed by a few great mentors, my own late, father being one of them. Brilliant and evolved human beings, these men and women saw me and nurtured my mind and spiritual awareness. I am indebted to them for the knowledge I was given. This play was born from years of immersion in a Poetic tradition that follows a classical theme. Years of reading classic literature, poetry and the Greeks, paid off as I crafted this story for the stage. The Land has a classical theme but it is completely modern and falls into the genre of Political Theatre, although I don't see it as being political at all!

No comments: